Today I wanted a cookie so badly…
Today I wanted a cookie so badly.
But then I remembered, I can’t go back! Because it’s simply not worth it.
Your journey towards wellness may have been challenging and difficult. At the same time, it may have also been confidence-building, character-building, and overall rewarding.
It would be a shame to throw all of that away for a short moment of indulgence.
I Corinthians 13:11 says, “When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” To paraphrase it, when you know better, you must do better. To be a child is to be uneducated, unexposed, and unaware. But once life trains you, you are the one responsible for putting away those childish things. You must stay committed to growth and resist the temptation to go back.
There are a few people who did not take heed to this advice. They let the longing for “childish ways” get the best of them.
- Lot’s wife looked back and became a pillar of salt. But even before that, her continued desire to indulge in temptation cursed her entire family. The decisions we make don’t just affect us, they affect our families and loved ones as well. As a parent, your eating decisions affect the habits your children create now, and the ones they will continue as adults. What are you “training” them to become? As spouses, your eating decisions affect the quality of the life you and your spouse lead together. Don’t you want to enjoy that life for a long time? As a Man or Woman of God, your eating decisions affect your testimony, for if our lives don’t prove God’s intention of us prospering and being in health even as our souls prosper, then why should non-Believers believe anything else the Bible has to say…even the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. (<– Wow).
- When the Israelites looked back, they became fearful of Pharoah’s army. Because of their fear, they were willing to risk going back into bondage. However, whom the Son has set free is free indeed; YOU DON’T HAVE TO GO BACK! God brought you out for a reason. He had this Challenge to resonate with you, because He wanted to work on you. So going back isn’t even an option. Keep pressing towards the mark and live in the plans of prosperity God has for you. Get out of your own way, and allow God to finish the good work He has started in you!
How to avoid looking back
- Evaluate how certain foods made you feel. Keep the foods that made you feel great in heavy rotation. As for those other foods, you don’t have to completely avoid them, but just remind yourself that momentary satisfaction does not contend with the true joy God intends for us to experience every day. Set reasonable parameters, so you’re not using natural means to fill a void the Spirit should be filling.
- Introduce non-Cleanse foods slowly. If you over-indulge, not only will you get sick, but you will destroy the solid foundation you’ve set up for your Temple. Keep all the new healthy habits you gained and endeavor to add even more.
- Keep encouraging sticky notes in key areas. (Read: “tempting” areas. Tehe). Try places such as the refrigerator, the pantry, your wallet or debit card, etc. For your stickies, use phrases and pictures, or even use the some of these encouraging verses that remind us why it’s important to take care of our temples in the first place.
- Set scheduled times to review your initial goals and your current goals. Taking a glance at how far you’ve come is motivation and encouragement for the future.
- Don’t be afraid to try new things. That’s basically been the underlying theme of this entire Temple Fit Cleanse. What keeps us from being successful is fear. Fear of change, fear of failure, fear of greater responsibility…whatever the excuse, it’s all rooted in fear. But we know that God gave us power over fear, love instead of fear, and a sound mind to control fear in our lives.
With that being said, how are you healing?